HGV Insurance FAQs

Who needs HGV Insurance?

The law requires that any HGV is covered by a minimum level of third party insurance.

This is to ensure that any third party/member of the public who has sustained injury or losses as a result of an accident (that you are deemed responsible for) may recover or apply for compensation.

The vehicle is kept off the road so is insurance still needed?

The Law has been changed and legislation now states that you still need a minimum cover of Third Party Only even if your vehicle is used/kept on private land, a yard or a garage.

What if my HGV is being driven in Europe?

Insurance arranged in the UK should normally provide the required third party cover for the vehicle while in use in the EU however additional cover such as fire and theft or accidental damage.

If you hold comprehensive insurance already it is important to check if your insurer will continue this cover while the vehicle is in the EU. You may wish to also check what countries you are allowed to travel in with the cover you hold.

You may be asked to produce a ‘Green Card’ as proof of your vehicle having the minimum cover so enquire with you insurer or broker for more information.

Where can I get HGV insurance?

Finding insurance that suits you and your vehicle can prove difficult and tiring however Quotax may have an answer for you.

With a strong panel of the UK’s Leading Insurers and being able to cover vehicles up to 44 tons Quotax will be able to match and tailor your needs and find you a competitive quote.

You can contact the team on 0208 469 9679 or click this link for a quote https://www.quotax.net/get-a-quote-truck-and-lorry/

What does HGV insurance cover?

As mentioned Quotax are able to provide you with a tailored and personal insurance policy and will confirm exactly what your policy includes and what extras are available.

As well as the general Third Party, Third Party Fire & Theft and Comprehensive policies Quotax can also source extra cover such as the following;

Specialist goods in transit Insurance

Employers and Public Liability polices

Breakdown cover