The Association of British Insurers (ABI) the insurance industry trade body have said claims for January to March for vehicle thefts have hit their highest level in seven years.
Some facts for January to March:
· The number of claims increasing from 14,000 to over 16,000.
· Costs of thefts at £108 Million, an increase of 22% on the same period
· LAST 4 YEARS – Overall theft costs have doubled.
The ABI said that this was partly due to an increase in thefts for vehicles with keyless entry. Working in pairs the thieves use electronic signal devices to steal the owner’s vehicle. One often stands by the car whilst his partner stands close enough to pick up the signal from the key and amplify it so the vehicle electronics believes the owner is in the immediate vicinity.
Ways of reducing the risk of keyless car theft:
· Leave keys in a signal blocking wallet
· Install CCTV
· Install spot lighting overlooking the vehicle
· Install a tracking device – whilst it doesn’t stop the theft it increases the chance of the Police finding the vehicle.
· Invest in a steering Lock